New Zealand Wine Festival
Last year I was invited by the Kiwi Chamber of Commerce to attend their prestigious New Zealand Wine Festival. Held annually in Seoul and in Busan, it’s a great opportunity to get out and meet other local wine enthusiasts. The crowd was a little bit older (and considerably more mature) than your typical Itaewon afternoon out, but there were a bunch of people on a mission to get day drunk, too! Seoul is already sold out, so make sure to get your tickets to the Busan festival ASAP!
Key Wines Available
- Babich Wines with two Sauvignon Blancs and a Pinot Noir
- Hunter’s with a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Noir and a Sparkling
- Wooing Tree with 2 Pinot Noirs and a Blanc De Noir
- Raparura Springs with a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and a Merlot
- Te Pa with a Sauvignon Blanc and a Pinot Noir
Other participating wineries include Kim Crawford, Clos Henry, Palliser Estate, Pancarrow, Schubert and Marlborough Sun.
New Zealand Wine Festival – Entertainment
- Global Haka- Based in Hong Kong, Global Haka uses traditional Maori songs and dance to add a unique cultural or Kiwiana feel. Performers represent different Iwi (tribal areas) from throughout the motherland of Aotearoa (NZ) who have genealogical links to their Maori heritage.
- DJ Blaze (Marcus Powell)- New Zealand DJ
How to Prepare for the New Zealand Wine Festival
This year I’ll be missing out on the event since I’m in Toronto (and since the Seoul event is already sold out), but keep your eyes peeled on Hallie’s updates from The Soul of Seoul Blog as she’ll be attending on my behalf. I actually got the majority of my 2018 event info from her since she’s on the ground! I can guarantee she’ll have plenty of photos and tons of shenanigans with Arielle from Soju4two. Last year I was generously gifted 1 ticket (much to ex-co-pilot‘s chagrin) and had some issues with consuming anything other than wine. I hope this year they have more cruiser tables and some seating so that attendees don’t get quite so drunk. The spread is fabulous, it’s just hard to knife and fork it balancing a wine glass and yourself in heels on grass! Wear flats, get one of those tacky necklace-glassholders, and seek out a flat surface on which to get your eats.
- Venue: Waterfall Garden @ Grand Hyatt Seoul (SOLD OUT)
- When: May 26, 2018 (Seoul) @ 4:00pm ~ 8:00pm
- Venue: Exhibition Hall @ Ananti Cove Resort (Busan)
- When: June 2, 2018 (Busan) @ 4:00pm ~ 8:00pm
New Zealand Wine Festival Tickets
- W100,000 for Kiwi Chamber members
- W120,000 for non-members
- W130,000 for at-door purchases
- Group Discount available: W100,000 per ticket for groups of 8 or more.
To Register by E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org