My Ibis Styles intro to Chiang Mai

Intro to Chiang Mai Ibis Styles

After spending 3 blissful, uneventful days on the beach in Phuket, I was ready for some action in Chiang Mai.  Lucky me, H and a few others from Doolay Hostel booked seats on my flight and after a much shorter trip to the airport (still about 40 minutes, but this time from the comfort of our own van cab).  Check-in with Air Asia was a breeze, and 2 hours later we were in Chiang Mai!

The city itself is fairly compact with a variety of activities outside the formal city parameters.  I was invited to stay at the Ibis Styles which is outside the old city walls and only 10 minutes by taxi (and 200 Thai Baht/ $7.50 Canadian) from the airport.  It felt nice to be in a city again, and it felt even nicer to be in a proper hotel.  I was also happy to stay in 100% non-smoking facilities, as guests had taken certain liberties on our patio in Phuket.

When I walked into the room I couldn’t believe the value!  I could have done cartwheels in the room it was so big!  On ibis.com this property has rooms advertised starting at KRW 34, 803 per night!  That’s only about $40 Canadian, or 1,080 Thai Baht.  My room came furnished with:

• a plush, comfortable King bed
  • a 32″ LCD flatscreen TV
  • all the standard amenities like a hairdryer, toiletries, kettle, coffee and tea, and a safety deposit box in the changing area (which had plenty of hangers on the clothing rack).
  • The mini fridge came with  complimentary bottled water, too, although considering the number of drinking bans we came across while in Thailand it would have been nice to have had some beer or wine available in the room.
  • There is a pool, however since the hotel itself is fairly new it was under construction throughout our stay.

There’s a free, massive breakfast buffet each morning from 6:30 AM – 10:30 AM (11 AM on weekends) with tons of Western options and a few Thai dishes.  I find that Korean buffets tend to be a little stingy on vegetables, so I was happily surprised by the fresh salads and the DIY salad bar.  The Thai dishes also included a variety of grilled vegetables so between that and my daily made-to-order omelette, my tummy was happy and I was ready to start the day right!  There is a lunch buffet offered from 11:30 AM – 2 PM for 179 Thai Baht ($6.72 Canadian).  My days were pretty packed so I ate on the road and didn’t get to experience the lunch buffet.  At night, happy hour meant cocktails or beers were 2 for the price of 1 (180 Thai Baht), and they offer a diverse menu of Thai and Western food.  We particularly enjoyed the downstairs patio with brightly-coloured, plastic chairs which matched the decor of the exterior of the hotel.  Heading down for a convenient pre-dinner drink was a great way to relax after the activities of the day, and gear up for wherever the night would take us.

Chiang Mai Night Bazaar

Chiang Mai Thailand

Wat Chedi Luang Chiang Mai Thailand

The Ibis Styles Chiang Mai was conveniently located close to the famous temple, Wat Chedi Luang.  From there we took a quick tuk-tuk to the huge Chiang Mai Night Market.  There are several bars on the strip walking from the hotel to the Maya Shopping Centre (a large mall with a big food court, several athletic shops, some spas, a fancy movie theatre, a gym, an English book store, and 3 rooftop bars), too.  If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, comfortable and convenient hotel experience in a city close to great nightlife, check out the Ibis Styles Chiang Mai!

Ibis Styles Chiang Mai, Thailand is located at:

Address: 7/9 Moo 1 Kanklong, Cholprathan Road Changpuak, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Phone: +66 53 908 888

If you like this post, make sure to pin it!

ibis Styles Chiang Mai - Best Hotel Deal
The best hotel deal in Chiang Mai! My stay at the ibis Styles in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

29 Comments Add yours

1. Samantha says:

I can’t wait to go to Chiang Mai! This hotel looks amazing and I would totally stay somewhere like this. I like that is has a free breakfast buffet, too!

Great photos! 🙂

1. Kate says:

I need to go back to see Chiang Rai! I’ll go with you and we can get a twin room, deal?

2. star lengas says:

OMG that brick red backsplash makes me heart excited! This hotel looks like a great stay, especially with the Western breakfast. What an awesome opportunity, definitely going to look into it, if I make it to Chiang Mai! ps. Also pinned 🙂

1. Kate says:

Thanks so much! It was a great experience. I’m really impressed with the value!

3. Hallie says:

No wonder you had a good time. Look at that place! Yep, I’d be pretty pleased if I got to stay somewhere like that for sure. ^^

4. Wow only $40. Makes me want to go to Thailand just to stay in that hotel! What a deal, and looks like a nice place too.

5. Vyjay says:

Ibis is a good and convenient chain of hotels. I have stayed at the Ibis hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya and had a nice experience.

6. This hotel looks exceptionally good value. I love the fact that it is so colourful too. A great location, good breakfast, and lovely big rooms. What a find!

1. Kate says:

I loved all the colours, too! It was such a happy lobby. The hallways outside the elevators were way more subdued, dark, and chill. It was a great experience!

1. Amanda Williams says:

It sounds really lovely! Makes sense for the hallways outside rooms to be a little more subdued.

7. Christina says:

$40 a night is pretty cheap. Is Ibis Styles part of the Ibis international chain?

1. Kate says:

It sure is! Ibis styles is around the world this is a newer location!

8. Daniela says:

The hotel looks lush! I`ve seen imagines with bad reviews in SE Asia before, but this looks really good. And free breakfast? Count me in! The prince is very well fit!

9. Smidge says:

What a great value hotel! I love buffets in Asia. In Europe it is all fried food, and I look weird looking for veg for breakfast!

10. Suma Jain says:

$40 for the room that big and with all the provisions you mentioned is like one of the best stay options in Chiang Mai . Bookmarking this post right away for future refernce 🙂

11. Christine says:

What what a great value and looks like a great place to stay too!

12. Jo says:

Oh this looks amazing. I am headed to Chiang Mai in a week – will check it out 🙂

13. I wish I knew of this place when I went to Chiang Mai! For 1,080 baht, that’s a great deal, especially with breakfast buffet. We stayed at an apartment through AirBnB and it cost a little less than yours (also not far from Maya shopping mall). It had a mini kitchen and all so we either cooked or got food from the Nimman road (lots of bars and restaurants). Loved it.

1. Kate says:

That’s fantastic, too! Sounds like you had a stellar time. Do you go the Airbnb route a lot? I liked our area!

14. JM says:

I need to go to Chiang Mai soon. This makes me really jealous. I wanna have awesome time like you.

15. Hung Thai says:

I really do like the way you’ve laid out your post with the different picture formats – makes for a more compelling and interesting read. I’ve never visited Chiang Mai though I’ve been Thailand before. I’ll definitely have to come back and give it a try. And totally agree with the great breakfast selection – it was one of my favorite things about Thailand. Mine had a noodles station and it was bomb.

1. Kate says:

Nice! I loved the noodle dishes in Thailand cause the noodles were so fresh. I’m always more partial to the soups and curries. yum yum! The visit was great, but far too short!

16. Kerri says:

I laughed when you said it was big enough to do cartwheels, as this is not my first thought usually about IBIS hotels. 🙂 Sounds like a great hotel with exceptional value, especially the breakfast buffet with plentiful options. I also like the fact that it is close to the night markets as this would be one of the first places I would visit.

1. Kate says:

Haha yes we were totally surprised to see so much room! I think H actually managed to do the insanity workout in the room while I was at the Elephant Nature Park!

17. I love the brick walls! I didn’t know there was an Ibis in Chiang Mai, I’ve stayed at the one in Bangkok (Ibis Bangkok Menam Riverside, I think). That doesn’t have rooms as stylish as this one, but it has an amazing garden right by the river, with a pool. So I’ve been very positively surprised by Ibis properties!

18. Your post makes me badly miss Thailand. It is simply wonderful – beautiful sceneries, paradise beaches, nice people, delicious food, and affordable accommodation! Ibis Styles look like a comfortable place to stay in Chiang Mai. I would check it out when I go there next. 🙂

19. Christine says:

This looks like a great place to stay and sounds like you had a great time! I’m definitely bookmarking this. Hopefully I can revisit Thailand soon.

20. I totally get not being able to experience lunch at a hotel – my days are always packed too. The hotel being so close to the night markets is a huge win for me. I’d consider staying here for sure.