A couple of weeks ago, The Sool Gallery hosted a blogger tasting event in partnership with Star Lengas of 87 Pages. The Sool Gallery is a space in Insadong which will soon be moving South of the river (Gangnam).
Insadong is one of Seoul’s most popular tourist destinations, so make sure to check out The Sool Gallery before they move. Insadong is in the old city and is near Gyeongbokgung (Palace), Bukcheon Hanok Village, and Jogyesa (Temple).
In Korean, “Sool” means alcohol. Here, you are taken on a journey through ancient Korea while getting a little tipsy.
The gallery was designed as a space to exhibit and sample tradition Korean alcohol. There is plenty of art to discover in the gallery as well. This one looked like a bunch of soju glasses shaped in a honeycomb to me. How did you interpret it?
On our trip we sampled Makgeolli, Yakju, Korean traditional distilled liquor, and Korean wine. Most of us preferred the citrus Makgeolli (Rice Wine) we tried. I enjoyed the traditional Korean distilled liquor, but I also enjoy feeling like a fire-breathing dragon. Take from that what you will!
The types of alcohols being offered for sampling change regularly. Brewery tours are available as well. You must reserve in advance to take part in a sampling, but you’re free to browse the gallery during operating hours without a reservation.
The Sool Gallery
Information c/o Visit Korea
Address: B1, 8, Insadong 11-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
How to Get There:
1) From Jonggak Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 3-1.
– Walk 330m straight from the exit.
– Turn right on Insa-dong 11-gil (before Templestay Information Center) and walk 100m.
2) From Jongno 3(sam)-ga Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 5.
– After crossing the cross walk from exit 5, walk 180m straight.
– Head right along Insadong-gil and continue 240m.
– Turn left on Insa-dong 11-gil and walk 40m.
3) From Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 6.
– Walk 90m straight from the exit.
– Turn left and walk 200m along Insadong-gil road.
– Turn right on Insa-dong 11-gil and walk 40m.
Hours: 10:00 – 18:00 (Closed every Monday / Seollal Day (February 19, 2015))
Blog & SNS:
blog.naver.com/soolgallery (Korean only)
www.facebook.com/thesoolgallery (Korean, Japanese)
Email: email@example.com (Korean, English, Japanese)
Inquiries: +82-2-739-6220 (Korean, English, Japanese)